Sunday, February 10, 2008

Strength

I'm a writer. Mainly fiction/fantasy. I grew up with High Fantasy, elves and dwarves, etc., but I really like dark modern fantasy. Anyway, I have recently discovered about myself that I write not just to tell a good story (which is what I thought), but also for a "moral" purpose. Which kind of annoys me, because I always hated books that had obvious moral purposes.

But anyway, one of my big "things", my main morals I write about, of course, is gender.

A friend of mine told me about a series she was writing, the Emperor series. She told me, with a note of pride in her voice, that she had gotten an entire group of people (the writer's group who was reading/critiquing it) to see a female face when reading the word Emperor. Her mission (one of them) is to turn masculine-oriented words like prophet, priest, emperor, etc. into gender-unbiased words, and to get rid of words like prophetess, priestess and empress.

Something I have observed and my thoughts:
Women are often portrayed as weaker-minded than men. Ophelia goes mad, but Hamlet only pretends to. I watched two instances of older couples and driving and saw indications of how we as a culture view women's minds. The first: the woman picked the man up, but got into the passenger seat so he could drive her home. The second: two older men in the front seat, two older women in the back seat. They stopped at a house, the passenger side couple got out, and the driver side older woman stayed where she was, and the man drove her home. Both instances, the impression I got was that weaker-minded women couldn't drive as they got older, because their minds would become too weak for such a complicated procedure.
My thoughts: Women are susceptible to greater weaknesses than men are, because of their greater inherent strength. Men have bodily strength, and they can lose that as they get older. Women have other strengths, less noticeable and more subtle, granted, but I think that makes them greater, deeper, more. And they can lose that strength.

8 comments:

Hari Narayan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hari Narayan said...

"Her mission (one of them) is to turn masculine-oriented words like prophet, priest, emperor, etc. into gender-unbiased words, and to get rid of words like prophetess, priestess and empress. "

I was thinking that very thing yesterday with reference to Battlestar Galactica. They have never used the word "goddess" in the series. Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, etc. are "The Gods" or "Lords of Kobol" like the male gods. Also, female superior officers are always "sir."

Bloomergrrl said...

Oh, I thought I recognized your blog! I'll add this one to my list of blogs to read also!

Hari Narayan said...

I think bloomergrrl is a bot. How it got past the word verification I do not know.

the Stolen Child said...

Hari: Yeah, I like BSG, kind of for that reason.
Also, Bloomergrrl is not a bot, she's a friend of mine. Click on her name, check out her blog. Or check out her blog on my brand-new list o' blogs I'm about to add to my page. It's just gonna have hers for a little while--I haven't had a chance to check out all the blogs you gave me, and I obviously want to look at them before I endorse them on my page.

Bloomergrrl said...

Umm, yeah . . . I'm 100% positive I'm NOT a bot! I know my comments were a little mundane, but I didn't have the time to type out a more thought-provoking response. I merely wanted to acknowledge the fact that I enjoy reading your blogs, and will continue to read/comment your new blog. That's all. Sorry for the confusion!

the Stolen Child said...

Don't worry, dear, I wasn't confused; just my friend was.
lol
(No, seriously, I can understand where the mistake/confusion came from. I think it's high-larious.)

Hari Narayan said...

Sorry, Bloomergrrl.